OpenSSL is the open source project that replaced SSLeay. If you are using
SSLeay on your system instead of OpenSSL, substitute ssleay with openssl
for the commands.
Create a RSA key for your Apache server:
Create a CSR with the created key:
- Change to whatever directory you will want to store the necessary files.
- Type: openssl genrsa - aes256 -out server.key 2048
- Enter and verify a server.key 'pass phrase'. This pass phrase will be used to
create the CSR, and also later to install the server certificate.
The text contents of the created server.csr file is the information we will require
you to provide during the online application for the server certificate.
- Type: openssl req -new -key server.key -out server.csr
- It will ask for additional information. Follow these conventions:
Note: the following characters cannot be used: < > ~ ! @ # $ % ^ * / \ ( ) ?
||The two-letter ISO abbreviation for your country
|State or Province Name
||The state or province where your organization is legally located
||The city where your organization is legally located
||Salt Lake City
||The exact legal name of your organization
|Organizational Unit Name
||Department name within organization
||The fully qualified domain name for your web server. Do not include "https://"
||Your email address
- Do not enter extra attributes at the prompt.
Warning: Leave the challenge password blank